Monday, August 15, 2011

No shoes No service!

No shoes No service!   Remember that store sign?  was that for status or hygiene?  are flip flops more hygienic than bare feet?  I don't really know, just asking.

Know when kids are sent shoes overseas? their feet are stronger without the shoes, but somehow squeezing your foot into a pointy object that squishing all your toes together is a status symbol. I wonder how that happened.  I am sure protecting the foot, had something to do with the start of shoes... but also MONEY.  running shoes in the 70's and spiky heels have contributed to all sort of misalignment issues... maybe not right away, but it does catch up to you.

My mom told me not to wear spikes in high school, but i had to look cool - so now i have bunions, very attractive i might add, yeah, not so much.   I used to have to add an extraordinary amount of padding to even wear shoes.

Now since going more minimalist (after your feet and calf muscles build up) my hips are aligned better, my legs and feet feel great, posture is much improved.  it is amazing how we get used to being tilted forward in our shoes.  There are studies about flats and how they hurt your feet.  Here is my theory.  When your foot in stuffed in a shoe it can not spread out and distribute the weight correctly, so yes there is foot pain. if your shoes are too tight, even with flats.  Rigid soles also contribute to the foot not being able to move.

With all that said, we live in a society with shoes - so we have to wear them.   And shoes are the things we should wear, if we need them for more risky activities.

A lot of the foot conditions can be improved by going barefoot google your condition and add barefoot to it.  That is how I found out about how to help alleviate hip/hamstring pain when running.

TIPS to start:
  • As soon as you get home, ditch the shoes, your house should be safe to get in some barefoot time. (You might have to rinse them off before bed if your floors are dusty, smile)
  • Find some minimalist shoes (especially for winter) to build up your foot muscle. (See link below)
  • If you wear heels, stretch out your calf muscles and the edge of a step, at least 30 seconds per leg.
  • Use a tennis ball and when standing up, rub your foot along the tennis ball on the floor. This myofacial release feels great afterward and will temporarily relieve tight muscles.

I love the vibrams for working out!  Good and grippy. 

I also made huaraches which I wear around now, where shoes are required. smile. My toes are not cramped up, love the free-ness in the summer.

Search Amazon.com for barefoot shoes


No comments:

Post a Comment